Debian-edu etch RC3 (terra) release Announcement

This is the third release candidate of debian-edu etch. We plan to
release the final release soon. So please file bugs at
http://bugs.skolelinux.org/ '''now''', if you see problems. Even if you
dont have hardware available to test on, you can still help with testing
in qemu. The url http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/TestCDinstall
will help you get started.

We know that we are somehow behind our release schedule and we plan to
release the final release within 1.5 weeks.

Highlights

 * Improved support for ssh based installation by not changing the
   network settings at the end of the installation if working network
   is enabled.

 * Modified the CD/DVD build system to include architecture specific
   packages, and use this to include the kernels needed by LTSP on
   amd64 and powerpc.

 * Fixed bug in code telling KDE to use esd on thin clients with sound
   enabled.

 * Now install scribus and tuxpaint by default in desktop installs.

 * Enabled sound and local device access on thin clients by default.

 * Added Hebrew and Japanese support.

 * Removed the free Flash implementation Gnash, because it is not ready
   for production use.

 * Provide the amd64 version as well as a multi arch dvd and a cd (i386)

 * When installed with the multi arch dvd on amd64, an i386 ltsp
   environment is created so old hardware could be used with new
   terminal server.

Known issues:

 * The test program after the install reports an empty error on amd64

 * The start pages are not in sync and final translations are under progress

 * The kde kiosk profile for the students lacks a structured kde start menu

The dvd ISO image is 4.4 GiB large. To download it, use either of these
methods:
ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-powerpc-amd64-DVD-rc3.iso
http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-powerpc-amd64-DVD-rc3.iso
rsync
ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-powerpc-amd64-DVD-rc3.iso

or for the netinstall cd you can download
ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-netinst-rc3.iso
http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-netinst-rc3.iso
rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-netinst-rc3.iso

The amd64 cd can be fetched here
ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-amd64-rc3.iso
http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-amd64-rc3.iso
rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-amd64-rc3.iso

This is the first release which officially includes an amd64 version.
Depending on the feedback, it might also get included in the final release
for terra.

The [ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/etch-test-powerpc powerpc] port is still
under development, and is currently not officially a supported part of
Debian-Edu. The architecture has been reported to work.

Your
Debian-Edu Development Team