Automation Services

Hi everyone,

Though many out there may already be aware of this, I just recently
found out about a Debian (sarge) based distribution called Pluto.

http://plutohome.com
http://plutohome.org

Though presently Pluto is designed for home automation, once you take
a look at it you'll see the tremendous potential it offers to schools;
particularly in the area of centralized media distribution. It's
Orbiter interface for device control is incredible and revivals some
very expensive (which for most schools means prohibitively expensive!)
commercial control systems I've encountered at the university level.
It's Core server appears to be configured similar to our Main server
(dns, dhcp, ltsp, etc.), but it definitely lacks the kind of
comprehensive user and system administration tools of Skolelinux.

Anyway, though I don't have the skills or experience to evaluate the
real potential for some integration between Pluto and Skolelinux, I
thought that there might be some out there who could and would be
willing to. A collaboration would definitely add an entirely new
dimension to what DebianEdu means to schools.

BTW, apparently Pluto is seriously looking into a switch to Ubuntu, so
there very well might be some orphaned Debian packages out there soon.

Regards,

Mark