Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 03:11:38PM +0100, Herman Robak wrote:
>  I think that, sadly, it is quite natural to aquire both slang
> _and_ typos from a foreign language.

I have seen it enough to think they are not typos. Using it in the wrong
context can cause ambiguity which may cause problems in documentation.

>  To my great dismay I have noticed that I more and more frequently
> confuse then/than they're/there in my writing.  I can't see why,
> since they are not qwerty-related mistypings, and their Norwegian
> translations are not confusable at all.
>
>  The most reasonable explanation I can come up with is
> "contamination": Two similar words, either in spelling
> or pronounciation 'collide' in our brain.  They hash to
> the same value, so to speak, and can be swapped without
> getting noticed.

Don't worry, its only through having it constantly having drummed
into our minds from a young age that we can read/write English at all.

I myself would have great difficulty learning another language. My hat
goes off to anybody who can speak more than one language.

au revoir :-)

--
Chris.
======