Re: List of Educative Software: Linuxsignpost + X

El dom, 04-02-2007 a las 15:58 +0100, RalfGesellensetter escribió:
> Dear List,
>
> Recently Knut, Josè and others announced a cooperation of Debian-Edu and
> LinEx. One chance I see here, is further improvement of the workstation
> profile, especially by adding more educative applications and
> usability.
>
> At the moment we have the Linuxsignpost project [1]. Its design is
> marvellous, but the project is kind of stalled. It uses a MySQL data
> base + some homebrewn PHP frontend.
>
> Additionally, we started a wiki table of free educative applications
> [2]. But this has proven quite uncomfortable, personally, I am
> convinced we need some relational database that can easily be extended.
>
> As my knowledge of PHP+MySQL is very basical, I'd go for a sqlite
> solution (OOo or knoda) - but maybe there is other people feeling the
> urge of such a project? I read, that GAMBAS II has got an interface for
> MySQL as well. Does the LinEx project use a database to collect
> informations about educational software?

We only have a small list with a short description of the main
applications [1]. We are now working in a bigger web site, where we
could get a more complete list, with description and/or manual of the
applications and courses for the teachers to use them. Our initial plan
is:
- mediawiki for the list ,following the appearance of the wiki for
juegalinex [2] (linex games, a dvd we built for the children to avoid
they use linux at school and, windows at home to play)
- moodle for the courses. There are some teachers doing screencasts of
some applications [3]
- Since January 2006, we have a firefox extension (aptlinex) that allows
the user installing Debian packages from the web. It's a gambas
application that  installs the packages from the sources.list
repositories, you only need to add to your web page something like: <a
href=apt://tuxtype>Tux Type</a>, so users can install from the web. I
think some Ubuntu people have done something similar this summer.

So, the idea is: if the teacher or student just want to see some tools,
he can go to the wiki, and even install the applications clicking on the
web (using the ¡aptéalo! button, as you can see at [4]). If the teacher
wants to know how to easily explain the Pitagoras theorem, he will be
directed to the moodle site, and get the course for it, and the course
will usually have short screencasts or interactive shows [5]

This is the idea, and we are still at the very beginning of the
development, so if it can be mixed with some other people ideas, and
reduce the work load, it would be great.

[1] http://linexedu.educarex.es
[2] http://juegalinex.linex.org/juegawiki/index.php/Portada
[3] http://linex.educarex.es/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=57  (you
can enter as guest)