Re: root password is not stored in /etc/cipux/

Hi,

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 22:15, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Am Dienstag 12 Dezember 2006 20:23 schrieb Finn-Arne Johansen:
> > I dont quite agree that it's in cleartext, but I kind of agree with
> > you.
>
> Mh, even though this might not be constructive, here: Should we obscure
> the password by use of any encryption (ROT-13?!).
>
> The sugestion of using some encrypted block device that is kept in an
> image file still has some attraction to me - but again would need a key
> to access the data. Taking something like`md5sum /proc/cpuinfo` or the
> like would provide an individual, but locally reproducable key - but
> then also mean further obscurification... ;)

yes an where you store the key?

No, this will bring nothing, because

(1) you must store the key on the HD
(2) if you do not store the key on the HD, then you force to remember
      for example a md5 sum. bad idea. How many MD5 sums are you willing
      to remember? I guess none.
(3) It must be documented, for the developers.

So you will not gain a bit of security.

Greetings
Christian