Why gcompris was removed from debian-edu/test2 (Was: Why no Gcompris? in est2)

[Richard]
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Skolelinux. Ihave used Edubuntu and Educanix with a
> preference for the locked down aspecto of Educanix. However,
> Educanix has very slow cycle.

> My aim is for usage in pre-school environment.
> There seems to be a preponderance of duplicated apps but not
> much for pre-school.
>
> Are there any plans, intentions, etc. to include the new
> version of Gcompris that is in the repositorio?

We want to include it, but it is hard to find space for it on the CD.
It was included on the CD for a while, but fell out when adept and
other system packages entered the CD.

You can see how much each wanted package on the CD uses by looking at
At the moment I read that gcompris will occupy 43005 KiB (41 MiB) on

the CD:

43005 gcompris
        gcompris-data vorbis-tools libao2 libcurl3-gnutls liboggflac3
        libgcompris-1-0 libsdl-mixer1.2 libsmpeg0 python-pysqlite2
        python-xml

So we will need to remove that same amount of packages currently on
the first CD to be able to fit gcompris.  There are not many packages
big packages with higher "priority" on the CD at the moment.  We could
drop openoffice.org, currently occupying 150 MiB on the CD:

   8936 gij-4.1
        gcj-4.1-base libgcj7-0 libgcj-common
   7939 java-gcj-compat
        java-common fastjar libgcj7-jar
 126500 openoffice.org
        openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-common ttf-opensymbol
        libcurl3 ca-certificates libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
        libgstreamer0.10-0 libicu36 libneon26 libnspr4-0d libnss3-0d
        libportaudio0 libsndfile1 libstartup-notification0
        libstlport4.6c2 openoffice.org-writer libwpd8c2a python-uno
        openoffice.org-calc libufsparse refblas3 atlas3-base libg2c0
        gcc-3.4-base atlas3-sse atlas3-sse2 atlas3-3dnow lapack3
        openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-math
        openoffice.org-base libmdbtools libhsqldb-java
        libservlet2.3-java openoffice.org-java-common libxt-java
        libxerces2-java libjaxp1.3-java libxalan2-java libjaxp1.2-java
        bsh libjline-java
      0 <=============== CD 1 fill level passing 512000 KiB
    833 openoffice.org-l10n-nb
    831 openoffice.org-l10n-nn
   1921 openoffice.org-l10n-de
   1916 openoffice.org-l10n-fr
   1912 openoffice.org-l10n-es
    856 openoffice.org-l10n-ca
   1977 openoffice.org-l10n-nl

We could of course also drop kdeedu, occupying 49 MiB on the CD:

  51186 kdeedu
        blinken ttf-sjfonts kdeedu-data kalzium libkdeedu3 kalzium-data
        kanagram kbruch keduca khangman ttf-dustin kig
        libboost-python1.33.1 kiten libkiten1 edict kanjidic
        ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-kochi-gothic-naga10 ttf-kochi-mincho
        ttf-kochi-mincho-naga10 klatin klettres klettres-data kmplot
        kpercentage kstars kstars-data indi ktouch kturtle kverbos
        kvoctrain kwordquiz

But all of them are popular in schools as well.  gcompris is one of
the more popular packages not on the CD currently reported to
<URL:http://popcon.skolelinux.org/>, so I would very much like to
include it on the CD, but there is only room for 700 MiB on it, so it
is hard to fit everything we want on it.  We are considering to make a
DVD available with more software.  If we do, gcompris is sure to make
it on the DVD. :)

If you have suggestions for packages to drop from the CD, please let
us know.  We can then reduce those packages priority.  I've run out of
ideas on what packages to take away now.

Friendly,