Re: Anyone know Indian school distro "IT@School GNU/Linux."?

2006/9/29, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:

I just came across this article on Linux Today,
<URL:http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8687173118.html>, stating that
a debian derivative is being installed on 12000 Indian school
computers.  Anyone know this distro?  Can we learn something from it?

Hi,

I'm from Kerala. The distro 'IT@School GNU/Linux' is a customised sarge with educational tools in one CD. It has a Open Office 2 and some new packages from testing. There was a previous version based on Morphix (called edu morphix).

see http://www.edugrid.ac.in/webfolder/download/schoolGnu/README.html

It was prepared by FSF India for IT@School project. Schools were offered a choice between Microsoft based curriculam and Free Software based curriculam and more than 80% of the teachers voted for Free Software and it will be taught in 8th, 9th and 10th (standard or grade).

"IT @ School Project is unique in that it is the schoolteacher than the techie who delivers theory classes in classrooms and handles practicals in labs."

You can download the ISOs here http://www.edugrid.ac.in/webfolder/download/schoolGnu/slgnu.html

Also text books are made and teachers are trained for this distribution. I have also got a chance to talk to the teachers a year before about Free Software
http://www.pravi.co.nr/2005/06/08/it-at-school-palakkad-support-group-formation-my-first-talk/

Also do some hands on to teachers of a school near to our college
http://www.pravi.co.nr/2005/01/14/when-teachers-became-students/

There has been even instances when students correcting teachers when they confused Free with zero-cost.

So it is a great thing for Free Software.

Cheers
Praveen

--
"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics', respond those who don't want to learn."