Re: including kiosk modes into debian-edu-config package

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 00:09, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Am Montag 25 September 2006 15:00 schrieb Steffen Joeris:
> > I hope this mail motivates you to get the things into the
> > debian-edu-config package as time is running and we should do that
> > right now and I do not see a reason to keep it outside the official
> > CD and leave it for an addon CD.
>
> Hi Steffen,
>
> this sounds promising. Is there any Howto in any Wiki?
Not really I fear. Ok in short:

The kiosk mode is a possibility to override default configuration and sets
some stuff for users, please read the introduction[0].
We currently place stuff for the kiosk-profiles under
debian-edu-config/share/debian-edu/kde-profile
and there you already find a debian_edu_pupils which I started as an example
(but which is still almost empty :( ).
This directory will be read and understood by kde if the user are in the
group "students". So if you for instance place some configuration under this
directory (which works as the normal kde directory,
e.g. /usr/share/applications/ ) it will be used for all users in the group
students.
This way it is possible to customize the desktop for different users, e.g. for
highschool kids or kindergarden kids, whatever you want.
At the beginning it might be a bit difficult and it takes some testing, but do
not hesitate to ask on #debian-edu or try things out :)
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Steffen

[0]: http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/kiosk/index.html