Re: Distributing libdvdcss2 from ftp.skolelinux.org?

>From Petter Reinholdtsen on Tuesday, 2006-09-19 at 15:19:54 +0200:
> [Holger Levsen]
> > I have now contacted him and pointed him to this thread.
>
> Gregory is a good man to talk to, but his USA-based knowledge might
> not match our needs.  As far as I know, the DMCA in USA prohibits
> distribution of libdvdcss2.  More interesting for us is the european
> and norwegian regulations, as ftp.skolelinux.org is located in Norway.
> I'll try to activate someone with legal experience from Norway.
>
> But I am definitely curious to what Gregory have to say on the topic.
>
> Friendly,
> --
> Petter Reinholdtsen

Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer.  But I can tell you a little about
reactions to libdvdcss2 in other parts of Europe.

First of all, you should remember that there was a concerted effort last
year to bring the whole of Europe into line with the American point of
view on libdvdcss2 and DMCA.  Since the clocks stopped in 1984, the
political activity surrounding the European Union Copyright Directive
was called "harmonisation".  "Harmonisation" included elements that very
much resembled the DMCA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU_Copyright_Directive
http://hannemyr.com/essay/ipr09.html

In Norway, many of us resisted "harmonisation", but in the end our
resistance had only small effect:  in Norway, in contrast to other
nations of the EU, it is still legal to convert your CDs into MP3s.

Norway, as I understand it, is also freer when it comes to libdvdcss2.
When Tapani Räikkönen tried to distribute Suomiknoppix with libdvdcss2
last year, he was blocked by FUNET.  I include an excerpt from our
conversation at the end of this message.

In light of the political circumstances, my suggestions
are the following:

1)  Include libdvdcss2 in the skolelinux archive, possibly in
    a special directory (like "non-US"), so that people can
    mirror the archive without getting into trouble

2)  If you care about mirroring the skolelinux CD, do not include
    libdvdcss2 on the CD.  If you do not care about mirrors, include it.

I am all in favor of including it (I believe it is legal to do so
in Norway), but you should be aware of the complications that
others may experience as a result.

Conrad