Re: Sun Java available from non-free

[Jeroen van Wolffelaar]
> Official packages of Sun Java are now available from the non-free
> section of Debian unstable, thanks to Sun releasing[11 Java under a
> new license: the Operating System Distributor License for Java
> (DLJ)[2][3].  This license, while still non-free, allows the Sun
> Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) to be
> distributed by Debian, with our own packaging.

As you can see from this announcement, the SUN Java packages are now
included in Debian/non-free.  This affects debian-edu slightly, as we
no longer need to maintain our own set of SUN Java packages alone, but
can expect help from the rest of the Debian community to work on these
packages.  This is a good thing, and I look forward to seeing the
result of this.

What this do not change, is our need to provide a free alternative for
running Java programs and applets, and we still need to work with the
free Java community to help them make sure the GNU Classpath library
is complete and correct, and some Java virtual machine can be used
with the library to execute java programs.

This effort is focused around the
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/JavaInDebianEdu> wiki page,
listing alternatives, important applets and programs, and how to test
and report problems to the free Java community.

So I am happy that SUN is taking a step in the right direction, but
until their software get a license conforming to the Debian Free
Software Guidelines, we need a free alternative.

Friendly,