Screen Modding: Grub Splashimage / Was: KDE Desktop Themes: Options and Limits

Hi folks,

I am a bit surprised that there aren't more interested in mocking up
Skolelinux. Yes I know, Debian is pure and non-pretentious. It's
honest. However, I feel this project could get more students and pupils
envolved ...

Just having read a howto on Grub splashimage, this is all one need:
- an darkish image 640x480 of low contrast
- color depth: 14 colors only
- file format: xpm.gz
- file size: 8 to 80 kB (40k on average)

No worries: The image does not replace the starting messages, it is just
the background. Be honest: The install process also uses some
Skolelinux related background image, so there is nothing nasty about
it. Actually we could take this as some starting point:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2004/05/msg00143.html was used to
generate splash.rle in debian-installer, I think.

Read more at
	http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/grub-images/

Greetings
Ralf