Re: CipUX cat-web (first code)

2006/10/30, Christian Kuelker <christian.kuelker@cipworx.org>:
the first code for cipux-cat-web is out:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/cipux/trunk/cat-web/src/?rev=0&sc=0

This new application is a CGI GUI for administrate users, groups of Debian-Edu/ Skolelinux.
(And may be Edubuntu or plain Debian) It is a replacement for cat-webmin and wlus and
probably netgroups (Benedik Wildenhain is working on that). So it can be installed for
example with apache. Unlike webmin no root rights are needed for execution of the CGI.
It uses the CipUX-XML-RPC server (Version 3.2.12)

thank you very much.

While at first, CIPUX is made to work on a skolelinux/debian-edu
server where a LDAP server administer the users and many other
services right from the installation, can CIPUX also be installed, and
how on a LTSP server that does *not* use LDAP (such as EDUBUNTU).

I think such a system administration software would be very useful in
Edubuntu and would very well complement Schooltool the school
administration system in developpement with support from  Mark
Shutteworth as the ubuntu galaxy.

Thank you very much again,

Nicolas

Features:
- full template driven + css. (We will have fancy layouts soon)
- ticket based security, no passwords will be saved.
- tickets have configurable timeout after last access or use logout function.
- easy to write new modules (about 100-150 line of code each)
- role based security layer for the modules (runtime configurable)
- role based security layer for the RPC functions (runtime configurable)
- it uses Formbuilder
- own library with powerful functions

The software have to be considered as alpha, an was tested for 1 month. It will be beta soon.
And can be in productive usage in about some weeks if CipUX 3.2.12 is out and we find some
testers.

An early screen shot can be seen here:
http://screenshot.cipux.org/3.2.12/cat-web/cipux_3.2.12_cat_web_groupadmin_default_en_pre.png

Status of the modules:

groupadmin.cgi           100%
useradmin.cgi             90%
tutoradmin.cgi            30%

There a some more modules to port. I think it will take 4h per module to migrate. Also there is
no package Makefile written. This will also take some hours.

Cheers
Christian

ps: cipux-cat-web is not a replacement for CipuxPHP or other moodle plugins, which focus more on teachers and other users.