Re: a first draft of a new webpage ...

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 01:51:06 +0200, <lars.risan@tik.uio.no> wrote:

Branding and marketing may become too slick, too glossy, and that may not
really sell Skolelinux. But I do think there is room for improvement. And
i imagine that a small number of introductory pages will be good, before
the curious surfer clicks him- or herself into the wiki.

Arguing the case in general is futile, of course. So in the name of
"do-ocracy", here is a first attempt, just to see what you think of it. I
am not a designer, just someone starting to learn CSS, and the lay out is
not unispired by Edubuntu. If it works, I'd like to continue the work.
Feedback of all kind welcome!

http://folk.uio.no/lrisan/SkoleLinux/test4.html

The style is nice. I will leave it to people with a good eye for colour and
design to discuss the details.

 About navigation and usability:
Logo at top left, good. Links to the right, probably not the best placement.

Considering how much the first 2-3 seconds matter, the readers eyes should
swipe over the navigation/about/conctact links in the very first pass.
Placing navigation links at the top, and left-justfied is very common.
Since the front page can not be everything for everyone, you want the
readers to see and explore the links quickly.  Placing them to the upper
left will make that more likely.

The above assumes the reader is used to left-to-right scripts.
The rules may differ a lot in Asia.

--
Herman Robak