Re: groups

[Nigel Barker]
> suppose I have a group "office", and I want to make all members also be
> members of group "teachers". Can I do that, or does it have to be done
> individually?

File groups (the ones commonly in in /etc/group) do not support groups
in groups, while netgroups (the ones commonly in /etc/netgroup) do
support groups in groups.  Both can be in LDAP, and there too only
netgroups support groups as group members.

> The reason is for accessing shared folders.

File (and directory and folder) access is controlled by file groups,
and these need to list each individual member.  It is not possible to
list a group as member of another group.  There exist user
administration systems (like SIMON and Cerebrum) which will hide this
fact to the users and generate the file and netgroup data the way you
want it, but they are normally a bit complex to set up.

Friendly,