Re: create users with known UID/GID

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Frank Weißer wrote:

> Ich just had to realize that i'd done one backup too few :-(
> After restoring /var cause of a crash some (many) users are missing. As
> i've got $HOME-directories, now 'owned' by UIDs/GIDs
> i'd like to create those users with the corresponding IDs and without
> creating $HOME-Verzeichnisse.
>
> man ldapadd doesn't really help (me?).

Not sure about this off the top of my head but an alternative would be to
update the ownership of the files.

I guess you can do something like:

	ls -l /skole/tjener/home0/ | awk '{ print $3, $9 }'

to get a mapping of username:olduids, possibly using awk to pull the info
out.

You could then run:

	find /tmp/ /skole/tjener/home0/$USERNAME -uid $UID -exec chown $USERNAME {} \;

for each id/username pair which will find all the files with the old uid
and set them to the new uid by username.

I realise it's a lot more work for the server but if you need to get it
done quickly, it might be quicker than reading docs.

Gavin