Re: Making PDFs from wiki pages (Was: What did I do, and what happened during the debcamp in Narvik.)

Am Sonntag, den 30.04.2006, 11:34 +0200 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> [Alexander Schremmer]
> > We concluded that the following ways might be a good solution: a) generate
> > DocBook and transform it to a PDF, or b) install the formatter from
> > http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/RobertSeeger/MoinExporter and ReportLab.
> > Kurt recommended the first solution because it can be already done today.
>
> Well, I tested the first approach today, and it did not work.  The
> generated docbook document seem to be corrupot.  I used docbook2pdf
> from docbook-utils to process the docbook file, and it refused it.

db2pdf from the docbook-utils package uses the sgml/dsssl toolchain. I
found it to work not well with utf-8 encoded files. Check the encoding
and probably use iconv or a similar tool to convert to iso-8859-1 and
try again. Also make sure the XML-Declaration states the correct
encoding: i.e. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

Alternatively you could download the XSLT-Stylesheets for docbook
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/) and try using them with an
XSLT Processor, I generally use Saxon, but Xalan or libxslt or Sablotron
should work just fine.

HTH
David