Re: DHCP Question: Shared Backbone for LTSP/Tjener

Do you have Vlan/Trunking capabilities on your network. If so, you could configure the switch ports for eth0 and eth1 to be on separate vlans, configure trunking on the fibre backbone, and then configure vlans on the switch at the remote location.

Using Vlans in this situation will reduce the size of the braodcast domains on your network (increasing performance), and isolate traffic between the LTSP network and the "normal" workstations (increasing security). This solution would also keep the DHCP servers separated.

I have never used it, but I have read that the package called "vlan" in Sarge will enable vlan/trunking on your interfaces so that you could even have separate networks on one interface.

Best wishes,
Jeremy Crandell

RalfGesellensetter wrote:
Hello,

I need to drive some remotely located thin clients from a combiserver (Tjener/LTSP). Those terminals are placed in a building that is connected via fibre backbone cables. In the same room we also use normal workstations.

This means, we have to connect both network interfaces (eth0+1) to the same switch and trust in its routing. These thin clients will be used by teachers during their spare time, so additional encryption (nx?) might be advisable rather than relying on trust. This means on the other hand that these clients usually won't start up simultaneously.

The question in mind is 1. how to make dhcp servers react only to requests from known NICs
   (MAC address in dhcpd.conf) to avoid ambiguous/random IPs
2. how to tell PXE/etherboot clients to request their IP from a specific server? some newer protocols supposedly support sticking to a given DHCP server.

Probably a better solution would be to install an addtional LTSP in place - which would then also be a working station. An additional switch and clever wire pulling could handle the task.

Thanks for your comments
Regards
Ralf