Participating at the II Open Source World Conference in Malaga...

Participating at the II Open Source World Conference in Malaga

Here is a short summary from my trip to the second Open Source World
Conference[1] in Malaga.  I was invited by the organizers to talk
about whatever I wanted within the scope of the conference.  That was
a new experience for me, so I struggled a bit to figure out the topic
of my talk.  I ended up planning for a talk about the organization of
the Debian and Debian Edu projects.

  1 http://www.opensourceworldconference.com/

I left Oslo early Thursday morning, and got to Malaga Airport without
any problems.  Was picked up at the airport by someone from the
organizers, and delivered to the conference center.  The conference
was at the same location as the first conference in 2004, so I was
slightly familiar with the surroundings.  I found the organizers
office, and was able to pick up my speaker tag and conference freebe
bag.  Next on the agenda was to find the people I knew in the area.
Several Debian people and other people I had meet before was going to
attend, and I wanted to hook up with them.  It proved harder than
expected.  In the main auditorium a discussion about women and the
free software communities was taking place.  I found the stream of
complains about the bad state of affairs coming from the person
talking when I entered less interesting, so I hooked my laptop to the
net and tried to see if any of the people I knew were on IRC.  I
managed to get in touch with Sergio and we met when the talks were
over for the day.  I also noticed a familiar face in Pia Waugh
(earlier Smith) from Linux Australia in the panel, waiting to have her
say on the topic of females and free software, and was happy to see
that she had a more positive approach to the issues at hand.  After
that talk I had the pleasure of enjoying the company of Pia and Jeff
Waugh over a cup of tea.  Pia showed us the USB DVB card she got from
the organizers for participating.  We tried to get it working on
Linux, but no drivers exist at this time. :(

When the talks was over, all of us headed for the hotel and due to
some misunderstanding, only me and Sergio ended up having dinner
together.  The others had disappeared when we got back from dumping
our luggage and preparing ourself to go out and eat.  I still had my
talk to prepare, so we packed up early and went to bed.

The conference started next morning with the guru panel.  Bdale Garbee
at HP, Jeff Waugh at Ubuntu and Simon Phipps at SUN were the faces I
knew in that panel.  It was an interesting discussion about the panels
vision of the future, but I found the bragging from Simon at SUN about
how great SUN was with free software slightly annoying.  Especially
since I knew that their Java license still make it impossible to
distribute along other free java implementation and thus illegal for
all the major Linux distributions to distribute and that the Debian
distro based on the Solaris kernel have similar problems as the
lisence of the C library is incompatible with the GPL and thus not
legal to use with any GPL licensed tool.

Anyway, just after the morning session I had my own presentation with
Lars Eilebrecht and Michael Wechner from the Apache foundation, Halge
Hess from the OpenGroupware project and Alan Robertson from the Linux
High Availability project.  We did 10-15 minutes intros about our
projects and took questions from the audience.  It was interesting to
learn that the French government was funding improvements with
OpenGroupware.org[2] to make it usable for several hundred thousand users
to be able to use them.  This effort is called Scalable
OpenGroupware.org.  I told him about our experiences with Notes at the
university and asked he knew what was needed to get OpenGroupware.org
or any other free software solution acceptable in our settings.
Neither of us knew what the requirements was in such setting, so it
was hard to tell, but he reported several companies and larger
organizations already used OpenGroupware.org.

  2 <URL:http://www.opengroupware.org/>

An interesting and fascinating observation from the talk about the
apache team was that they actually use a apache module as an SMTP
server[3].  I had never heard about mod_smtp before.

  3 <URL:http://1060.oregonstate.edu/module/mod_smtp/>

My talk was about custom Debian and how to use Debian as the base when
making your own preconfigured linux distribution.  I mentioned a few
of the tools and some of the experiences we have from the
Debian-Edu/Skolelinux project.  I tried to emphasize the importance of
getting improvements back into Debian, to reduce maintenence load and
make it possible to get help from other teams with similar problems.
I also mentioned a few of the problematic areas, like the lack of good
enough free Java and Flash implementation.  After my talk, I was asked
how the Debian based distributions in Spain did in that regard, and
how many of them were pushing their changes back into Debian.  I
answered that they were not doing great, but were slowly improving in
that regard, and mentioned the few official Debian developers I knew
were working for the local Spanish government making such
distributions.  I also mentioned the really helpful effort from
Valencia funding a significant amount of debian developers gatherings
in Spain.

After my talk, I went down to the organizers and managed to get my own
DVB USB stick.  Hopefully it will be working with Linux soon.

During the conference, I was able to locate the Debian Project Leader
Branden Robinson and talk about the current state of affairs in
Debian.  He wasn't too satisfied with the last years effort, and gave
me the impression that the last year really had drained him of a lot
of energy.  We discussed the upcoming DPL election, and he did not
plan to run again this time.  I had also talked a bit with Bdale about