Re: Netbooting installation of debian-edu

Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
> I've played around a bit with net install of debian-edu. Someone tried
> to make it work by using the initrd and kernel on the installation CD,
> but that did not go very well. IN theory it should work by
> -setting up a main server to support netbooting via on eth0 (backbone)
> -make the installation CD accessible by http
> -using debian-installer netboot kernel and initrd
> -boot the machine to be installed from the net
> -select language and keyboard layout
> -tell the installer to fetch installation packages from http://10.0.2.2
> -fetch debian-edu-* and autopartkit from the main server
> -choose installation profile
> -partition the disk
> -install the basic packages
> -reboot and fetch the rest of the packages off the net
>
> The trouble is:
> -autopartkit fails if used this way. Not sure why, the error message
>  doesn't make sence
> -during second stage of the installation, debian-edu expects to find the
>  packages on the local CD, not of the net
>
> other caveats:
> -You have to step back and forth in the menu to get the profile
>  selection working
> -Could be difficult to find the correct debian-installer netboot initrd
>  after some time.
>
> Question for Joeyh and others with debian-installer knowledge:
>  Is it possible to create an initrd that supports both CD and netinstall?
>
> If not, I may have a solution, using the Universal toolkit lessdisks,
> but a solution using the CD and a netboot initrd would be better.

OK - I've made a shor thowto on how I made it work.
Its availible from the documentation library on developer
http://d.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/netboot_install_debian-edu_sarge.txt

Untested, and most of the info is fetched from my head, which has taken
vacation, kind of :)

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/