Re: Skubuntu

mandag 11. juli 2005, 21:58, skrev Vidar Bakke:
> Skolelinux Ubuntu = Skubuntu

Jonathan Carter is the person that is making the tuXlab CD. He is from
South Africa, and is working together with spreading free software at
schools in that country. They have around 100+ schools that has
adapted their server/thin-client solution.

Mr Carter has told me that they think Skolelinux/Debian-edu has done a
great job, an he would cooperate with us. One of the reasons is that
the CD called tuXlab is a installation-CD with a script that puts all
the configuration files on place after the installation. They don't do
the installation the native way with Fedora/K12LTSP, with adjusting
necessary packages as Skolelinux does with Debian.

It's nice that tuXlab changes from Fedora to a Debian based
solution. They have an architecture similar to Skolelinux, and has had
that a couple of year. The maintainability is not as good at it should
be with K12LTSP. That's why they would change to an other framework to
make customised distros.

As many have pointed out, the fast movement of Fedora Core, which
K12LTSP is based on, quickly became unmanageable. That's one of the
main reasons that Skolelinux has stayed with Debian community.

When it comes to package compatibility, there will be some work to do
to adapt e.g the new implementation of LTSP from Ubuntu to
Skolelinux. We have looked at the new code, and is manageable compared
to the "mini-distro solution" that was the situation with the LTSP 4.1.
The Debian project has has grown from around 900 developers in 2003 to
1400 developers in 2005. The participants will continue to grow. This
is good for free software ...

Today It's a shorter way to continue the debian-edu path for the
Skolelinux-project. The timetable for edubuntu is that they first will
give a class-room only solution, then they will concentrate on the
whole school, and then thy would do a regional/municipality
solution. It will take at least 18 months before edubuntu has a
debian-edu architecture if they follow their timetable.

Free software in nature gives that possibilities, and it also allow
tailoring, and merging code back and forth between projects. In my view
we should work together with the other free software projects tailored
for schools. Old stories about HPUX, Sun Solaris and Irix don't
applies on free software in the same way, because we cooperate with
the other EDU-projects. When doing that, the "vote for MS" as happened
in the 1990-ties don't apply in the same way as before. One of the
reasons is all the legacy, and the upgrade and man hours to maintain
MS software because of all the different versions of Windows, that is
at last 10 versions the last 8 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows

Knut Yrvin
project mangager Skolelinux Norway