Re: Skolelinux participation at the Edubuntu Summit

Knut Yrvin wrote:
tirsdag 05 juli 2005, 00:43, skrev Knut Yrvin:

Valencia starts out with 45,000 installations. By the end of 2007 the
number will have raised to 1000,000.

It should have been 100,000 :-). After what the persons from Spain
told us there will it be 1,000,000 desktops with Linux in the schools
by 2008-2009 at the three regions of Andalusia, Valencia, and
Extremadura. Impressive!

I did open the ball at "Journades de programari lliure" yesterday. It is a 4 day gathering in the region of Catalunya.

They have told me that you (the region) are nothing if you do not have your own Linux-distro. They are planing (not descided yet) to make one their selves. They say that they are going to use Skolelinux for this. I'm not sure if this means a translated Skolelinux/Debian-Edu or a new distro based on Skolelinux.

My talk lasted for 1 hour and we (Frode Stiansen) and I did have two more hours in the afternoon to demonstrate how to install Skolelinux/Debian-Edu and what the thin klient looked like. Before the demo we tried tu install the latest Skolelinux-Sarge version, but it did not work out so we used Skolelinux rc2 at the demo.

We did not have wery much time so we did not use many minutes to find out where it did fail. At first glance I could not find anything in the logs, sorry about that Finn-Arne.

After talking to a lot of people down here I have to admit that they are wery lucky with local athorities who understand the need to use free software.

If Spain continues in this direction they are wery soon going to be the number one Linux nation in the EU

Best regards Markus

- Knut