Re: Kde-edu, GCompris, Gimp

* Vidar Bakke

> The only possible way to get the apps on the CD is
> to replace some big existing packages. Replacement
> candidates are:

* Knut Yrvin

With replace the LTSP that is based on RedHat today, and use the new
implementation, it could be possible to get 70 MB more space on the
CD.

**** My comments:

Why not consider the use of an extra cd, with the applications that are
"missing" from the main cd?

When my school upgraded from Woody to Sarge, I suddenly found out that several
applications were missing from the menu. I think most of it are
educational/games, but I've had complaints from users not finding
applications they liked in woody, in the new installation.
The problem is; they can't even tell me the name of the application, so
apt-get isn't of much use.
I think an extra cd would solve this; then we would have more applications +
they would have been selected and sorted out from the enormous amount of
applications avaivable from debian.

Open Office versus Koffice
In my school we only use Open Office.
As you said; pupils grow older. I feel that it is better with one office
suite;  not all pupils work that much with pc's, and changing office suite
after three years could actually confuse more than it helps.
--
Regards
Thor Hauknes