Re: Stateless thin client server?

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 13:48, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[...]
> This could be implemented by storing the config info in LDAP, and
> having some scripts on the thin client server looking up the MAC
> address of ever client trying to boot from it, and then generate the
> needed configuration files on the fly.

I think there are already extensions to the LTSP that store the thin
client info in LDAP, and include autconfiguration stuff for the clients
on their initial bootup.

However, long term I would be looking to lessdisks instead of LTSP...
it's more Debian centric.

Lessdisks is changing a bit ATM, but it currently stores the thin client
info on the NFS root, and includes a setup script that you run on the
first boot of the thin client to update its info on the the NFS server.
It maps everything to a client name, and then maps that client name to a
MAC address. It has the beginnings of hooks for how this works that
_should_ make changing things to get/set this info from LDAP not too
hard.

I would probably look at the LTSP LDAP extensions first, then look at
the lessdisks stuff. In theory you could grab the LDAP schema from LTSP
and re-use it for lessdisks, but you might find lessdisks needs some
different stuff in there.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>