Re: policy for pools?

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:10:56PM +0100, Steffen Joeris wrote:

> I am curious about the future situation of the pool-handling, means the
> skolelinux pools of packages.
>
> My question is how we will do our work in the future?
> Is there a policy for uploading packages to skolelinux?

Well, for the sarge-based pool I don't believe we have any clear
policy, but for the woody-based (stable) we have earlier agreed on
send an email to debian-edu@ldo and ask if anyone had objections to
the new upload. And only a few people have access to add new packages
or overwrite packages in the pool for Venus (stable woody-based).

When upgrading packages in our test-pool (which the Sarge-pool now
is), I believe it's ok to just upload new version of packages for
bugfixing. For those of us that reads the commit-list the changes
appears there. For _new_ packages to the test-pool I believe it would
be nice with an email to debian-edu@ldo to ask for objections to the
upload. Comments?

Of course these "policies" should have been written down somewhere,
but .. the well known lack of time.

> Ok we have three kinds of packages.
>
> 1. Backports
> 2. native skolelinux packages (LTSP, webmin*stuff, ...)
> 3. own skolelinux packages (keep the minimum because we are normally including
> all packages into Debian)

We should try to keep the nubmer of backported packages as low as
possible. The best thing to do if we want new packages in
Debian-Edu/Skolelinux is make sure they are present in Debian.

> So this was just the current summary.
> Currently Finn-Arne is working on reprepro and on a transition to get the
> current pools in reprepro, then we will have an upload queue in the future
> (Thanks for that finnarne, although i am bothering you all the time with
> that).

I'm looking forward to this! :)

> My question now is do we need a policy?

Yes, our socalled policy should probably have been written down on a
webpage on d.skolelinux.no. Maybe included in the "Guidelines for
developer .." [1]?

> Will we make a keyring with gpg keys for uploading, or will we accept packages
> from everyone?

Either a keyring (probably the best) or manually ack'ing of
packages. Or maybe a mix with manually ack'ing of packages uploaded by
people not in the keyring.

> Will we make source-only uploads? (I prefer not to make it, but will mention
> it as a possibility).

I would prefer source-only uploads as we then will be sure that the
packages do not FTBFS.

> Who can upload packages?

Well, probably those who are interested .. and are able to behave. For
the stable archive I believe that only a few persons should be able.

> Who is interested in that?

Too few? :)

> Is there a need for help on archive (reprepro)?

Finn-Arne?

> Maybe some specifications about uploading after the transition.
>
> So what do you think on this topic???
>
> Please take this mail as the start of a discussion or reject it if you see no
> need in discussing it, i just write this mail because i want to talk about
> it.

We have not (yet) had any problems with people misusing their rights
to the archive pools, so this is not a big deal in my eyes. But if a
missing policy keeps new developers from uploading packages to our
test(ing)-pool, it is more important. If someone have time to write a
policy-draft, I'll gladly read through and comment it.

> P.S. If someone of you will come to the meeting in january and need
> accomodation for some more days during the week because of a cheaper flight
> or so just let me know i will find a way ;)

Unfortunately I'm not able to attend this gathering, but afaik
both Finn-Arne and Petter will come so you could perhaps continue
parts of this discussion there..

- Werner

[1] http://d.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/contributing-developers.html