IP-alias in debian-edu : do I have to compile my own kernel ?

I have to use a special IP address on eth0 to connect the fresh
debian-edu server, where I have installed the sarge pr05 debian-edu,
to the network provided in the school.

There are different ways to do that:

1/ a long one, that needs to change many configuration files, described in
http://developer.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/skolelinux_change_ipsetup.txt

2/ a much shorter one, described in
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Adresse_carte_r%C3%A9seau

 but apparently there, it is necessary to have the ip_alias module
compiled as it is used (this is not indicated in the wiki, but I
suppose I'll have toadd it)

I have not found this module in the tree /usr/lib/modules/ ... and I
therefore suppose I need to compile my own kernel for that (which I
would hope not)

If I have, please let me know how I can get the default debian-edu
kernel configuration file so that I can simply tune the configuration.
Any pointer to documentation on compilation of kernel for debian-edu
would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nicolas

--