Unit tests for Debian-edu

How could we ensure that the Debian-edu functionalites are really
working?

It may help to improve the overall quality of the Debian-edu if we could
set up a kind of unit tests system for Debian-edu.

The idea is quite simple, we could define a list of simple
functionalites we want to test. The test should be as simple as
possible, the test will be defined in such a way that only two answers
are possible: 'success' or 'failure'.

Random examples of 4 tests:

- Connect to Webmin as root
- Create a user toto
- Logon as user toto
- Toto send email to Toto

The load to conduct the tests could be shared among differents people. A
couple of wiki pages will be enought to synchronize the test results.

Ideally for each prerelease and release, we'll want to run all the unit
tests, even several time by different people.

Of course when a test fail, apropriate actions should be taken, to
ensure next pre-release pass this test.
Such unit tests will only work (=produce some interesting results for
the end user) if it is integrated in the Debian-edu development process.

Not everything could be tested, in particulary when related to hardware.

Hilaire Fernandes

--
CDDP des Landes
Ingénierie Éducative