Squeak in Debian [was: Re: first cut of core packages?]

[CC'ing to debian-edu]

El mar, 02-08-2005 a las 15:26 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen escribió:
> [Dario Rapisardi]
> > I also noticed a question from Petter regarding Squeak. We do
> > consider Squeak as Free Software too, and we even have one guy
> > developing exclusively our Squeak image.
>
> [Petter Reinholdsten]
> Do you plan to work on getting squeak into debian (preferably
> debian/main)?  It would give the debian squeak users access to the
> quality framework of debian.  For that to happen, someone need to
> convince the ftpmasters in Debian that squeak is according to the
> Debian Free Software Guidelines.
>
> [Dario Rapisardi]
> > However, as someone told in the list, the Indemnification Clause is the
> > most problematic. Squeak is also mentioned in the "Unable to Package"
> > section in Debian.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/unable-to-package
>
> [Petter Renholdsten]
> Yes. I wish there were some rationale or references to why the package
> is considered "unpackable", to make it easier to argue against it.

The issue has been discused several times. The last one was last year in
debian-legal. The thread is quite big:

Somebody suggested to include it in 'non-free', but putting Squeak in
the same repository as Java or other really proprietary software doesn't
seem fair to me.

--
Dario Rapisardi (GNU/Human Unstable)
dario@rapisardi.org