Install via PXE?

Hi there,

smaller Notebooks don't need internal CD-drives. If it comes to set them
up in a larger scale (schools), I could think of three options:

1. Install all of them from an external (USB) drive
2. Install all of them via network /PXE boot
3. install one like 1/2 and mirror the rest

The question I'd like to raise is: under what circumstances is it
possible to deploy machines via ethernet (Option 2)?  Could this be
used to mirror an installation (option 3) or are there better ways
(apart from external drives)?

Yes, I know of concepts like fai or m23, but this is not what I am
aiming at. Rather the idea of having a debian-installer bootstrap
(provided by some tftp server which should be easy to set up) that does
the debian-edu-installation via net.

What I'd be content with for the moment, was a short assessment of
feasability / degree of difficulty. I could imagine that this feature
could be worthful for Debian and CDDs in general.

Regards
Ralf.