Re: wlus / User Administration

RalfGesellensetter wrote:

Am Dienstag, 24. Mai 2005 13:09 schrieb Halvor Dahl:
Hello everyone.

SLX Debian Labs is starting a project for improving user
administration in Skolelinux/debian-edu in general and
wlus in particular.  The background for the project is
mainly feedback from users.

Hi Halvor, thanks for reporting. At one school we are evaluating CipUX, a webmin suite for server administration including ldap user administration. It is quite old a GPL project in productive usage and can cope with the skoleliunx ldap schemes after some adaptions. During our last working meeting at Guetersloh, Christian K. gave a presentation of the features (there is a German minute of the presentation in our Wiki). It is written in perl, but not object orientated - and runs some scripts as root (which might be considered a security issue from one or another). Just feel free to ask if you think there are parts in it that could be re-used.

Thanks Ralf,

I will find a way to check it out.  My main concern is to avoid
being dependent of some package/toolkit/middleware that goes out
of fashion and nobody bothers supporting it anymore.

The idea of using something that has already been developed sounds
intuitively attractive, but in many cases it is a wild bet with
extremely high risk.  You may find yourself cornered and spending
lots of time trying to maintain code that is half-finished, not
really what you were looking for in the first place and no longer
interesting to anybody else.  At some stage you may be forced to
find another platform anyway (and will probably make the same
mistake again).

My approach is to use an application architecture this time
that is much more flexible and generic and which will allow us
better control.  We may have to do a lot more hand-coding and
maybe spend some more time initially (although I do not believe
so).  But in the end our maintenance cost will be much lower
and we will be able to adapt our code to ever-changing requirements.

Halvor