Re: CDD-package inside of Debian or out?

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

When a CDD includes only postfix and not 5-10 alternative MTAs, then it
is removing the choice of MTA When a CDD includes KDE and not other
desktop frameworks then it is also removing choice.
If you ask me (personally!) I would love if someone would remove the
choice of an apropriate MTA from my shoulders.  I hate to have the
choice between things I do not really understand well enough to
make a reasonable choice.  Such things have just to work and should
be hidden completely from the view of CDD users (=in this sense a
would call a CDD user also the administrator of a machine which should
run a CDD).

I certainly agree. But those combos are CDDs as well: The combination of
Skolelinux (using KDE) and a GNOME-loving CDD needs its own tweaks,
testing and maintainance. Maybe not much, but probably enough to not
have a feel of "just works" as seen from an end-user.
If you ask me a CDD should not really depend from a certain desktop
environment but on certain applications which are needed by the end
users.  In the case of Debian-Edu the lot of education related
software (KdeEdu) is a valid reason to prefer KDE but according to
my knowledge the other CDDs do not have a certain preference of a
desktop environment and I hope that this can be fixed in the future
by better support of KDE applications under Gnome and others.  So
I would call the desktop environment as a very low priority issue for
CDDs.  Compared to the MTA here the end user has a real chance to
decide what to prefer (usage habits, design desicions etc.) and here
I would leave the choice open (of possible).

Kind regards

           Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de