Re: Roadblocks to Linux in Education

Conrad Newton wrote:b

Slashdot article:

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/05/13/2118247.shtml?tid=109&tid=146&tid=106

Paints a depressing, if familiar picture.  At some level, this article
actually cheers me up, because it feels like we are doing better than this.

Conrad

If I understood this correctly, the situation in Australia is
not necessarily comparable to what we have in Norway.

The argument here is that there is no incentive in the schools
to switch to open source because the schools will not benefit
from the potential savings themselves.  If that is the case,
it is perfectly understandable that they stick to Windows
which they probably know well already.

Here in Norway a school normally gets a budget dependent on
type of school, number of pupils and any other types of special
requirements for that particular school.  This means that if
they can save some money on their IT budget, they can spend them
on something else.  And of course, this goes both ways - just
check the newspaper stories on schools in Oslo firing teachers
to afford the operating cost of their IT system.

Halvor