Re: Alternative to MS Class Server

On 28 Apr, 2005, at 6:08, Jeremy Crandell wrote:

I was in a meeting today where a local school district (In Arizona, USA) gave a presentation of their implementation of the Microsoft Class Server( http://www.microsoft.com/education/ClassServer.aspx ). Somehow I had never heard of it before. Does anyone know of a project based on Debian-Edu/SkoleLinux which has curriculum, assesments, and reporting tools?

If you remove most of the MS marketing mumbo jumbo I'll guess
you will find that Moodle on Skolelinux is a good choice.

The difference between a LMS (learning management system), CMS  (Course
management system) and LMP (learning management platform) is still
unclear to me

Maybe Skolelinux + Moodle = LMP

The MS Class server depends on:
Windows SharePoint Services 2.0
Microsoft SQL Server 2000
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition.
Active Directory
and of course the always needed CALs

Not an issue for an average schools with trained sys admins and a budget :-)

Jeremy C