RE: Authenicating users against LDAP

> with the LDAP in order to bind. SSL? We are kinda newbies
> both to LDAP and SSL,

	First of all - start reading some of all the well written
	documentatsion of the topics. Some good start points are:

	http://www.openldap.org/
	http://www.openssl.org/
	http://www.tldp.org/

> but I gave it a shot with the following code:
>
> import javax.naming.*;
> import javax.naming.directory.*;
> import java.util.*;

	Are you using some good IDE development tools?
	Try either eclipse or Netbeans:
	http://www.netbeans.org/
	http://www.eclipse.org/
	Both are OpenSource and very proffesional, orginated from SUN and
IBM.

>   {
>     String ldapServerName = "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX";
>     String rootdn = "dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no";
>     String factory = "com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory";

> I get the following exception:
>
> javax.naming.CommunicationException: simple bind failed:
> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:636

	XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX Doesn't look like a valid IP-address to me... ;-)
	You better check out which deamon you need to cope with port 636 on
	your selected XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX server.

Sincerely
Kjell Arne Rekaa