Re: choosing software applications

Hi,

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:

> I definately wouldn't say that non-technical users don't want choice, it's
> just that they want sensible defaults so they aren't forced to spend time
> making the choice (yes this amounts to basically the same thing, yet at the
> same time it somehow doesn't).

Fair enough.  It still involves choosing the sensible default.

> BUT for basic use (i.e. excluding macro's and similar advanced features) it
> really shouldn't matter which office suit (or e-mail client, or browser,
> or ...) you're using. If it does matter that arguably points to the fact
> that the user is unfamiliar with the basic concepts behind each class of
> programs, i.e. it points to a clear lack of skills that the school should
> remedie, not work around.

Often the problem is with the teachers as much as the students.  For
example, a mid-fifties teacher may have very little training with computers
but still has to get notes typed up.  Given that their only experience is
likely with MS Office, being given a mixture of two others at intervals is
very confusing.

> By having different programs of the same class available, and having
> students switch between them at times [1]. You teach them to look for the
> concepts behind the interface, instead of just learning the interface by
> heart.

In principal I agree with you.  But in practice, I really don't see this as
very practical currently.  Naturally, different schools and countries may
differ.

> Should a school avoid this? Definately not, afterall the whole point of
> schools is having people learn, and in today's world computer skills are
> (increasingly) a neccesity.

I would suggest it is up to the schools to decide this.  Although I agree
in principal that this is a better way to teach.

> they're both in the process of moving to the OASIS format
> by default (koffcie 1.4, and openoffice 2.0 will both use the same
> standarized format by default)

Well, that's good to know.  Abiword too?

Gavin