Re: Does Linux have viruses?

>From Ralf Gesel|ensetter on Saturday, 2004-12-04 at 00:25:30 +0100:
> Am Samstag, 4. Dezember 2004 00:07 schrieb Conrad Newton:
> > This seems a little weak, but at least it is honest.  Many of the
> > more detailed discussions are completely unusable.
>
> Hi there,
> of course there are few exploits (namely: rootkits) that can dock to
> single servers. But what you should focus on is the question:

Servers are always vulnerable.  My question is:  what can go wrong
when you are hiding behind a firewall?

> Why isn't Linux interesting for Virus Programmers?
>
> Well, first thought: it's tough, because it is actually very secure.
> Second thought: There is yet too few Linux boxes (as for Desktops) to
> make it spread. Now, how about Linux reaching a share of more than 20%
> at desktop pcs?

If my hat were even a small shade of gray, I would take your arguments
as a challenge, not a deterrent!  Arguments about market share are
not very convincing to me . . . if something *can* be done, people
usually do it, sooner or later.

> To tell you the difference: Windows is a confectionated product out of
> the box, adequate to fordistic mass production (nearly overcome as for
> industry). Most recent Windows boxes are set up identically, like a
> monoculture (if you have an idea of Biology).
>
> Monocultures are very prone to be hit by some virus or disease one day,
> as we know from Agriculture.
>
> On the other hand, there is the freedom of Linux. Freedom now in the
> sense of flexibility and polymorphism. You could write a virus for this
> or that distribution, hoping it might disseminate. But to reach a
> critical mass for real impact, you had to know every single distro.

Yes, but of course many people hope that Linux will become more
standardized, not less.  As people fall into line with the LSB, should
we not expect more security problems?  There will also be increasing
demands by the users and corporate entities both for standardization and
for easy installation of all kinds of programs---it will be difficult to
fight this one, once Linux rules the waves . . .

Conrad