Re: Username restrictions (chars, length) - conventions?

Am 2004-11-27 19:07:55, schrieb Ralf Gesel|ensetter:
> Hi there,
>
> at the moment, newly created user names are restricted by wlus to
> - 8 characters of length
> - only alphanumeric characters

I do not know "wlus", but curently there is adduser changing to accept

a-z  A-Z  _  -  .

> Schools that migrate from an existing system also wish to move their
> naming conventions. Hence there are severe suggestions to loosen the
> described restrictions. Now the argue is about what should be the new
> limits:
>
> As opposed to libc-5, libc-6 allows usernames up to 32 (i.e. 31 + \0)
> Others say: Either have a limit of 8 or no limit at all!
>
> How about underscore ("_"), dash ("-") and dot (".")? Within email

These are legal characters for Log-In names.

> addresses, each of those are quite common. I do need the dash only.

I uase the "." (dot) since POTATO by
changing the file '/usr/sbin/adduser'.

I think, all $USER accounting tools should support it.

> Thanks for contributing
> Regards
> Ralf

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi