Re: Linex Backports for KdeEdu (Sources)

Am Montag, 8. November 2004 23:18 schrieb Ralf Gesel|ensetter:
> Inst kdm (4:3.1.1-0woody3 www.linex.org) []

Hi,

as you can see, my install command caught KDE 3.1!
Now, that all trailing problems ("we cannot log in!") could be solved
within 10 minutes (thanks to #debian-edu on irc.debian.org!), I am
really happy with the result. KDE 3 behaves and feels much better than
KDE 2, it's like two steps forward!

My experiences are to fresh to really recommend others to do the same.
If so, you should take note of these remarks:

1. You'll lose koffice (kword, kchart,... )
2. You have to grant access to kdm3 before thin clients will ever
   be allowed to connect (please correct if I remember wrong here):
   - in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc:
   change: access (or sim.) from disabled to enabled
 uncomment... Xaccess
   - in /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess uncomment #* allow access for any ...
   Restart kdm:
 /etc/init.d/kdm restart

I still have to look for the settings where to turn off all known users
being displayed in the login dialogue. The more as Umlauts are
misplayed here.

Corrections will follow
I plan to make this a how-to some-how some-time :)

W/special thanks to markos_, finnarne and stockh0lm
Ralf