Re: bandwidth throttling LTSP machines.

Dear Gavin,

thank you for addressing this topic. From my experiences, I'd plea for one
LTSP server per room - unless there is only adult internet users using thin
clients. I have some pupils who make fun of running top and then competing
for the hightest CPU share. As we have a dual processor machine, there is
still headroom, but sometimes they manage to slow down things.

Personally, my knowledge of linux plus root access is enough to tell who does
it, and to kill their processes. But if they were in different rooms (or the
teacher is no admin), there might be problems.

More often, however, I feel it is this ancient kde2 causing timing problems.
Kind of stepping onto its own feet (if this saying is any international).

Am Mittwoch, 6. Oktober 2004 16:40 schrieb Gavin McCullagh:
>  This would
> create stadard iproute throttling rules which would cause the ltsp client
> to constrict it's own bandwidth usage to something reasonable/tunable (like
> say 4MB/sec default).

Bandwidth throttling sounds sound to me - should be on average, however (to
admit peaks). If there is such thing - why not! The question is, of course,
where the real bottleneck is - with some animations it (still) might be
bandwidth (until NX), if it is the CPU, have multiple processors. Considering
a 1GBit uplink for ltspserver (provided a supporting switch), could be worth
a try, too (ten times the bandwith!).

Regards
Ralf