squid ACLs and LDAP

Hi,

I guess this is a feature request.

Some schools will not be willing to hand out web access to just anyone on
their network.  I know of at least one which currently uses the password
system in squid to restrict such access.

This would be a very useful feature to have available in the debian-edu
toolset.  The most convenient way would seem to be granting web access on a
unix group basis.   I'm not sure how well it works but the ldap_auth
modules for squid would seem a logical first guess.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/ldap_auth/

The basic idea would be to allow some users (eg teachers, seniors) only.
More than that though, one could imagine certain groups being given
restricted access either to certain sites or even to filtered content.

I realise that filtering or restricting net access may cause philosophical
issues for people but the situation is often that people may be given
restricted access or none at all.

Gavin