Samba: NETOGON/netlogin.bat

Dear List,

yesterday I was impressed that my old Win NT clients were able to join the
SKOLELINUX domain "out of the box". A good job has been done.

From my point of view, I like to express my concerns, however, about including
some VBS script into the netlogin.bat. For security reasons I wouldn't let
Windows install with Visual Basic.

I had been administratiung a pure NT network for quite a while before
migrating - so I know of the reasons that might have lead to your decision:

Win 9x / ME doesn't support most of the NT script commands (including the time
sync IIRC). Maybe the script should do a case select on the OS version...

The VBS script is a mere text file and hence preferable to binary executables.
How about a ready made MyHome.lnk file that merely needs to be copied from
NETLOGON/FILES (copy \\SKOLELINUX\NETLOGON\FILES\MyHome.lnk Desktop)? Even
then it depend on installation, what path exactly leads to the user's
Desktop.

Well, I suppose there cannot be a generally valid solution, so maybe just omit
the VBS thing? Or can one make its execution conditioned on VBS being a valid
file type?

Regards
Ralf