Re: Debian-Edu, Skolelinux and NX protocol (access from the internet) ?

* francois schnell <francois.schnell@ulpmm.u-strasbg.fr> [040517 17:10]:

> Hello,
>

> I'm trying Skolinux and I find it really excellent so far. :-)

thank you

> I work in the french education system (as a teacher working in an ICT
> department of a French University).
> The last years the ministry of education pushed for the development of
> digital work-spaces in schools. Unfortunately to my knowledge Linux
> based digital work spaces in schools seem nearly non-existent in France.
> I'm then really glad Skolelinux / Debian-Edu and LTSP K12 are
> progressing so well.

perhaps you would like to come to Linuxtag in Karlsruhe?

have a look at our wiki

http://www.skolelinux.de/wiki/LinuxtagSkolelinux

we are planing some talks and a developer conference there.

> In this context, I recently discovered and tested the NX protocol for X
> (from nomachine in Italy www.nomachine.com ) <http://www.nomachine.com/>.

i know NX

the KDE project is planning to integrate NX in the next release,
so it comes to skolelinux ...

> Did you test it ?

last year, not with skolelinux

> What do you think of it ?

it has a big future

> Would it be possible to have a complete free solution (client and server
> NX or equivalent) integrated in skolelinux ?

perhaps, we will see at the KDE conferenc in august

> Do you know any other free alternative of such a quality ?

no

> Thank you for all your work for free software in education.

thank you for the information, please come and join the
development, we need testers, translators ...

> Francois Schnell
> France

Regards/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt