Weekly report 3

I've not gotten as much done this week as I'd like to, due to traveling to
Brazil and adjusting to being in the country, and also due to the many
pleasant distractions here. The bandwidth here is also not very good, which
makes it difficult to work with full CD images. Still, some work has been
accomplished this week:

 - I've put together a policy and a tracking framework for moving udebs to
   testing for the next release of the debian-installer. This is important
   because it's intended to avoid the problems we had during the last
   release, and hopefully get a better tested and less buggy release out on
   time without consuming all of my time.
 - I've started to process and move selected udebs over to testing using
   the above.
 - A bit more testing of the Debian-Edu install CD for sarge, and bug
   fixing in debian-edu-install. Not as much as I had hoped to do as it
   is blocked on other issues like getting all the packages to fit on
   the CD.
 - Worked on the sarge CD, freeing up 100 mb, and so X is on it now.
   Unfortunatly the education-* tasks are not, as they have been removed
   from testing.

Goals for next week:

 - Get d-i close to ready for the next beta release.
 - Get the education-* tasks into testing again or failing that, set up
   another means for getting debian-edu things onto the CD for testing.
 - Get a better set of packages on the CD, so the full install can be
   tested.
 - Find other people to do some testing of the CD, as I will probably not
   be able to download many CD images while I am in Brazil.
 - Work on making education-* task packages more robust so they are not
   removed from testing again. This may involve a redesign.

After next week is DebConf4, which will allow for lots of meetings and
close collaboration with both other d-i developers and with some other
skolelinux/debian-edu developers (Andreas, Petter, Tollef, any more?). I also
hope to meet with archive administrators and security team members, and
discuss how to provide security updates for the testing distribution.

--
see shy jo