Re: default file system?

[Andreas Schuldei]
> what are our criteria? reliability is certainly high up on the list,
> but speed and low cpu usage are important, too.

I realize I was not very clear on this in my last reply.  I do not
consider speed and cpu usage very important when it comes to file
systems.  The most important part is making sure the saved date stay
on the disk.  So reliability is an absolute requirement.  I do not
care how fast one can save the files, if I can't be sure to retrieve
them back from the disk. Next comes flexibility in administration and
distribution over the net, as these are important to be able to use
the filesystem without much work.  Last, if all the previous factors
are well handled, come performance.

And to tell you the truth, I do not trust reiserfs.  It will need to
have several years of real world documented experience on flaky
hardware before I trust it to not croak on me when I desperately need
to fetch some files from a disk.

Performance might be an important factor if the filesystem in question
was a cache of some kind, where the real data was stored elsewhere, or
could be regenerated when needed.  If the filesystem was to store the
only copy of my data, it would not matter much to me how fast it was.