Q: USB-Stick at Workstation? (plus considerations: media station)

Dear developers,
hi folks,

today I failed to mount an usb stick on teacher's work station - and I
did it several times on other systems!

Plugging the stick in gave some messages like "new usb device detected"
or the like on a console (ALT+F1). As neiter lsusb nor usbview was
installed, I went ahead installing hotplug. This removed another
package called something like mogawasi (?) I never heard of, and as
hotplug failed to work w/o parameter, I decided to reinstall that
package.

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt didn't work (as opposed to most other systems with
IDE hard drives). KControl displayed only the usb hub (usb-devices).
Well, admitedly I didn't try to mount my own usb stick that works
definitely with linux - maybe it is a hard ware compatibility
problem...

+++

Anyway, I'd plea to introduce another component to the skolelinux
architecture concept, replacing teacher's work station by thin client
plus i/o-station:

i) teachers need to im- and export data, there must be at least one cd
drive and floppy eacht in the class room!
ii) servers are dear and should be locked away. Additionally, servers
tend to be much louder than thin clients (silent) or ordinary PCs =>
hence the ltsp server should not be used as teacher's station
i+ii leave the work station concept to be used as teacher's PC. However
this could lead to different installation sets (upgrades, installs
asynchrone)
=> have teachers use a normal thin client and add a media pc to the room
from where cds, floppies, usb drives, whatever can be mounted to the
filesystem of ltspserver. Possibly, this station could also render the
sound output of the system. Additionally, a scanner could be attached
to that PC.

What do you think?
Regards
Ralf