why stable? experiences with skolelinux...

(sorry for the evocative subject)

hey folks,

I wish to share my experiences and thoughts after 10 days of practice
with 1 main server, 1 terminal server, and 14 thin clients (plus one
work station for the teacher). I am not just a plain using teacher, I
was also involved in setting the system up, maintainance and updates.

Last successes:
* Installation of Java SDK 1.4.2 from Blackdown (hints available)
* Installation of Mozilla 1.0.x plus Flash 6 (working)
* Re-installation of network printer after swapping NICs

Last surprises:
* After apt-get upgrade, OpenOffice was in English again. Starting the
Setup/Repair option helped.
* After installation of mozilla, each user faces kpersonalize again
after login.
* Those "stable" versions of konqueror or openoffice  seem to crash more
often than the "unstable"/"testing" versions I use at home. Refering to
the subject line: now, why are they called stable then? Isn't it like
this: Especially for modern projects (take muse) 90% of their
development have taken place without getting into "stable". This means
(very obviously) a minus in features whilst I doubt that there is a
plus in stability. Maybe, there were more security issues detected, but
does this count for a terminal server (if seperate)? Another example is
wine: I'd say, the amount of win apps supported has increased immensly
from the last stable version...

I do know that there are plans to make 1.0 based on sarge. I also know
that there are backports. But does anybody have experiences with
upgrading to testing/sarge? Are the skolelinux relevant packages
compatible with newer libs?

One more question as for workstations: Is there any way to keep the
installed packages synchron with those installed on a terminal server?

Another problem with open office: When I open Extras/Data sources, the
URL to dbase should be like ~.openoffice/1.0.2/user/database/biblio/
which was the case with pr47. After last update it points to some /usr
path where one cannot write to. Alternation is lost with restarting
Openoffice...

Comments like questions are welcome - as always :)

Regards
Ralf