Re: WLUS 1.2-27

Am Thursday 22 April 2004 19:09 schrieb Knut Yrvin:
> . The main reason is automation. The teacher at a school has
> 2-4 hours a week to support and operate a Skolelinux-network with 320
> pupils and teachers. With 150-200 hours a year to operate 150-1200
> user accounts, they don't need more complexity. They realy need less,
> or no complexity at all.

Dear Knut,

thank you for addressing that aspect. At our school it is me being in
charge of maintaining the system, and as the 2-4 hours frame is valid
for me, too, economy was the major reason for me, to spend half of my
easter holdidays with installing skolelinux :)

I agree with automation being the easiest way - and I accept that
importing users from a file is quite easy and the way to use at the
beginning of a year - it is not the best way to add single users during
the year.

Now, why do I use a different naming system and plea for an option to
edit the naiming rules?

Regard the following situation: At the end of a term, I wish to check my
pupils results to mark them. I know the name of the class (or of the
year if it is a mixed course), but, well, so far I have to open that
home0 folder on skole containing 700 subfolders. This takes a while for
being displayed, and then I have to get through all of them, in order
to check my pupils' pub folder.
I consider it a huge facility if the user names starts with the class or
year the pupils are in, so I have the whole bunch together. A
hierarchig home file system seems the best way, but not feasible I
suppose.

Another more often situation: A teacher brings a file on a disk and puts
it in his pub directory so the pupils can use it (the concept of
central transfer folders obviously had been rejected due to
uncontrolled fillings). In any situation like that, each pupil will
take their time to find the teacher's folder among 700 others...
My current naming system gives all teachers the same prefix.

If you are interested in further details, I could tell you, but for now
I only wanted to state, why I consider it handy, if I could at least
edit the autocreated user name before committing....

What do you think?
Regards
Ralf