Some notes on testing upgrade from woody to sarge

I tested an upgrade from Debian Edu based Workstation on Woody to
Sarge yesterday and today.  I discovered several problems.

I edited sources.list and ran "apt-get update && apt-get -y -u
dist-upgrade", and had a look at the result.

 - most of KDE was removed
 - openoffice was removed
 - some others (do not remember)

The dist-upgrade failed, probably because /usr/ filled up.  I had to
retry after extending it.  I was able to install the
education-workstation meta-package to pull in most of the removed
packages.  I haven't checked which packages went missing yet.  during
the upgrade, several packages complained about changed conffiles.
Several LaTeX-related packages and lots of others as well.  I will
need to document the details properly.

After the upgrade, quite a few packages was not working as they
should.

 - autofs-ldap forgot the LDAP server and OU, so NFS home directories
   was no longer mounted.

 - The correct network kernel module was no longer installed by
   discover at boot.

 - KDM had forgotten its configuration telling it to _not_ show the
   list of available users.

 - KDM failed to log in users using the 'default' choice.

 - NTP lost its configuration.

 - celestia was unable to display any stars.  The menu kind of worked,
   but it crashed when I tried to configure it.

This tells me that there are lots of fixes left to do in sarge before
we can upgrade without problems.  We need to document some tests, and
report upgrade problems back to the debian maintainers of the packages
with problems.