Re: Interesting Applications for Skolelinux

On Saturday 03 April 2004 18:40, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Ralf]

In general, wouldn't it be a better idea to put tools like theese on a special
Debian Edu "Applications CD"
So Skolelinux will stay the infrastrukture basement and it will give more
space on the skole CD for the next months.
Things like ASF, Groupware (e.g. Mimerdesk good squirrelmail integration
etc....), MTA Environment, ...
And not to forget a lot of documentation which will come with Skole (it has to
come if skole is interested to be accepted at (not only german) schools in
the future).

> > 1. Scribus (GPL)
> > "Scribus is a Layout program for GNU/Linux¨, similar to Adobe¨
> > PageMakerª, QuarkXPressª or Adobe¨ InDesignª, except that it is
> > published under the GNU GPL." [2]
- Needs a lot of recources.
May be passepartout would be a better tool for the future. Passepartout is
capable using XML as markup Language. Which brings a lot more stylistic
functions like Lists, Tables and others which Scribus don't. But it lacks in
functions like floating around an image shape and in the tremendous pdf
capabilities of Scribus.

> Added to the wishlist (extra.txt)
>
> > 2. Varkon - "a free CAD system and  high level development tool for
> > Engineering, Computer Aided Design and Product Modeling applications
> > originally developed by Microform AB in Sweden.
> > Now maintained and further developed by
> > the CAD group at the Department of
> > Technology at ?rebro university in Sweden.  [3]
>
> How is it compared with qcad, which is already in Debian and in
> Skolelinux?
It's a CAD Environment, what QCad definetely is not!
IMHO, QCad is a rudimentary sketching tool, not more than that.
To my point of view Varcon is an interesting tool with a loot of perspectives
to become a real CAD Environment under the GPL.
Comparing quite every existing GPL'ed Linux CAD like tools, e.g. QCad and
others, it's comparing a Ford Model-T with a Saturn-V. (Saturn-V = Varcon :)
Only VariCAD, a proprietary 2D / 3D CAD tool, is as capable as Varcon is.
ProEngineer, Catia, Microstation, Medusa, Precission Engineer, ... thats the
league where Varcon is playing.

Just my 2¢t as a precission-mechanic engineer (Feinwerktechnik, Schwerpunkt
Konstruktions und CAD Technik in german) and from my point of view as an
CAD-CAM fraggle I was a couple of years ago. :o)

> > 3. R - "R is a language and environment for statistical computing
> > and graphics. It is a GNU project which is similar to the S language
> > and environment which was developed at Bell Laboratories (formerly
> > AT&T, now Lucent Technologies) by John Chambers and colleagues. R
> > can be considered as a different implementation of S. There are some
> > important differences, but much code written for S runs unaltered
> > under R. " [4]
>
> I'll leave that for apt-get at the universities. :)
Hhhm, may be it might be interesting to ask Andre Poenitz <poenitz@htwm.de>
from LyX Team.
AFAIK he is developing the mathematic interface for LyX. Maple, Mathematica,
one of this kind of stuff is supported right now but not documented.

If R will be supported it might be interesting for High Schools, Ecole
Superior, Gymnasium, Matura, high level School education. Sorry don't know
how it's called it in Norge. :o)

Bye,
Thomas