Re: Suggestion: Logging Apps used :)

[Ralf]
> As for skolelinux where hundreds of pupils per day access the
> softwrae installed on the terminal server, a tool that logs, which
> app was accessed how often (maybe last accession date, too), could
> help deciding what app could be replaced. What do you think of this
> idea?

In addition to using accounting to check which packages are being used
(which I believe have questionable privacy issues), there is also the
popularity-contest package reporting which package was used the last
week.  The log is available in /var/log/popularity-contest*, and it
might be useful to use it to detect which packages are unused.  But
one need to take into account that it do not work 100%, so one can not
just remove all unused packages.

The version in Sarge and Sid also contain the popcon-largest-unused
script, reporting good candidates for removal. :)