Heretics: Non-free version of skoleknoppix?

Dear List,

taking into consideration the discussion about dropping non-free
packages (or just watching them drop) on the one hand, but regarding
the fact that our curriculum provides non-free stuff like teaching java
(http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/eclipse-sdk is a
contrib-ide, but only testing) on the other hand, makes me feel like
there is still a long way to go.

Just a counter-stream though I had on this: If it is true that debian is
mainly reknown for its easy mode of installing or updating (dpkg or
apt-get), and if it is true that almost everything we want is debian
packages, plus providing that each school nowardays have a flat-rate
connection to the internet: Why we bother squeezing bit for bit on one
CD? How about having the setup script collecting the desired
eduscational software from some apt-sources?

If so: What should be left on the CD then? The installer itself, right,
a basical debian system to connect to the net - and: those software
that is NOT available as debian package. This would be really helpfull
from the user's point of view.

I am quite aware that this statement is quite provoking to most of us
(including myself) - but it has its point, hasn't it?

Now you :)
Regards
Ralf